June 7, 2016

Recipe for Chiwda - a dry roasted snack using beaten rice






A Marathi friend sent a box of delicious spicy chiwda last week and that’s what motivated me to try this amazing snack. I was unsure as to how authentic my chiwda would taste while I thought of trying it out. I googled for some recipes but I realised none of the recipes are the same so I thought of giving it a try in my way and yea no regrets about the taste.

So this recipe is what I did and will note what I could add or modify in my next trial.

Ingredients

Thin beaten rice (paper poha) – 500 gms
Cashew nuts – ½ cup
Peanuts – 1 cup
Roasted gram dal – ½ cup
Sliced garlic – 2 tbsp.
Curry leaves – 1 cup packed (yes!!)
Asafoetida – 2 big pinches
Sesame seeds – ½ cup
Salt
Powdered sugar
Red chillies
Coriander seeds – 1 tspn
Turmeric powder - ½ tsp.
Oil – ½ cup

Method
  • Take a huge kadai and dry roast the poha (beaten rice) for about 10-15 mins ( when you snap it should break).
  • Take another kadai and pour in the oil and heat up.
  • Fry the cashew nuts, peanuts, garlic and curry leaves and keep aside.
  • In the remaining oil fry the sesame seeds, red chillies, asafoetida, turmeric powder, coriander seeds and pour in this seasoning over the roasted poha along with the fried cashew nuts, peanuts, garlic slices and curry leaves.
  • Add salt and powdered sugar and mix the whole mixture thoroughly until all the flavours and ingredients gets mixed up well.



Note: Fry finely chopped green chillies if you want to make it spicy

This is specially made for a guilt free evening snack for me and my selves (actually)...Lol

Try and let me know
Thank you!
Chaithanya



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...