Bread baking is the new found love and currently experimenting on millets. Its jowar again !! Let me pamper jowar enough before I handle the next millet flour.
Bread baking is therapeutic and the aroma is sensational, if you know what I mean :) Start baking your healthy breads right at home.
Water – 1 cup
Yeast – 1.5 tsp
Sugar – 2 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Whole wheat flour – 1 .5 cup
Jowar flour (sorghum flour) 1 cup
Sesame seeds – 2- 3 tsp
Sunflower seeds (crushed) – 2-3 tsp
Olive oil – 2-3 tbsp.
- Microwave the water in a heat proof glass bowl at high for one minute ( this is for one cup of water )
- Sprinkle the yeast and sugar and stir well.
- After 15 mins you will see a frothy yeast mixture (else repeat this step).
- At this stage keep a sieve over the bowl and sift in one cup of whole wheat flour and one cup of sorghum flour and salt into the dough.
- Use the dough hook attachment of your egg beater and knead the dough for about 10 mins.
- Add the olive oil and knead again for another 5 mins.
- Finally add the sesame seeds and crushed sunflower seeds in the dough and knead for a minute.
- Now using your fingers gently bring the dough together, use a little olive oil if you find the dough very sticky. Cover and leave the dough to rest in the bowl for about an hour or until it doubles in size.
- Once risen preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius and scoop out the dough into a loaf tin. Don’t forget to grease the tin before you dump the dough. Sprinkle sesame seeds and sunflower seeds on top (optional) and also sprinkle a little flour on top (optional). Score the bread with sharp knife (optional). And just leave the bread to proof for the second time (that’s about 20 mins approx.)
- Don't let the bread prove (rise) for a longer time for the second time.
- By then oven would be hot, place the loaf tin in the oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the top is brown and you hear a hollow sound when you tap the bread.
- It’s safer if you could get your frothy yeast mixture right in the beginning than proceeding ahead.
- Sifting is to make the flour airy and light before it falls into the yeast mixture.
- Dough hook attachment is the spiral attachment which we get along the egg beater set. This is helpful in not making our hands messy while making the bread dough.
- It’s safer not to go by the exact measurement in the recipe and make sure your dough is on a wet side (sticky dough). Initially put ¾ flour mentioned in the recipe and then proceed until you still get wet dough and not stiff dough.
- You could alter the measurements of seeds used according to your convenience.