September 18, 2014

Homemade ketchup - easy recipe


This is something which have been in my mind for a really long time and just got postponed and as they say every thin has a time I just happened to make this today. But no, I like to believe I really wanted to make it today and hence made. 

Ketchup is a product which is sometimes inevitable in a household, its a taste enhancer for kids and adults equally! And trust me its really easy to make and when we do it we can make our own combinations too.. Today I have made a simple one by keeping the taste buds of my kids in mind. Since there is no preservatives I doubt it will stay good for more than 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator.

I asked my son to taste the sauce, he came and smelled it and his eyes gleamed and I kept telling myselves it has come out right. He tasted it and confirmed it .. Happy meeee :)




Ingredients 

Olive oil - 2 tspns
Garlic cloves - 2-3 , chopped
Onion - half
Tomatoes - 1/2 kg ( coarsely chopped)
Good quality vinegar - 1/4 cup
Salt - 1 tspn
Ground black pepper - 1/2 tspn
1/4 cup - brown sugar

Method
Heat the olive oil in a wide heavy-bottomed non-reactive pan over medium heat. 
Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about one minute, stirring constantly. 
Add the tomatoes, vinegar, salt, black pepper, and cook until the tomato pieces fall apart, about 20 minutes.

Remove from heat and blend.
I used a hand blender to puree the contents in the pan or blend in a mixer in batches  and strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Stir in the brown sugar return the mixture to the stove and cook again over medium heat, stirring often, until it thickens a bit more, between 15 and 30 additional minutes .Taste for seasoning.
Let the ketchup cool to room temperature, where it will thicken a bit more, then transfer it to jars with tight-fitting lids. Will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. 
Tips : adjust the seasoning to your taste. You may add pepper, oregano, ginger, or any other seasoning of your choice. Add red chillie powder or saute chillies along the tomatoes and puree it if you want it hot.

Enjoy home made ketchup!
Thanks :)


2 comments:

  1. Can I replace olive oil with some other oil?
    Brown sugar with white sugar?

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...