June 11, 2012

Simple vanilla sponge cake with fresh cream frosting



Have baked loads of cakes and among that loads of vanilla sponge cake, but was never as happy as I have done this cake. Some how the cake was soft and spongy than many other recipes I tried. I used whole wheat too. I got this recipe from here and I just replaced the flour with whole wheat flour and no other changes.May be you can reduce sugar to your taste.
The recipient of this cake a 3 yrs old little angel who wanted a 'blue butterfly' and when I had all the ingredients I agreed on giving it a shot.. and by God's grace it was not bad either, according to the reviews :)
I did think about how to bring about the shape of the butterfly, thought of many sized and shaped pans and finally decided to do in a rectangular pan and carve the shape out. Hmm.. may be I could do it a lot better next time :) Anyway here is the recipe for the same

Ingredients
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter (lightly salted)
2 cups  flour  (I used whole wheat flour )
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt


1. Beat eggs in large mixing bowl with paddle attachment for 4 minutes or  use an electric egg beater.
2. Add sugar, and continue beating for another 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and stir on low until just combined.
 3. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients.  Add to eggs and sugar on low speed until just combined.
4. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter on low heat just until butter is melted and wait for it to be cool. Add to batter, beat just until combined.
5. Pour into two greased and floured 8" round cake pans.
6. Bake at 325 until the middle springs back when touched, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand in pans for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto wire cooling racks and cool completely.

I traced the pan in a paper and tried a shape of the butter fly onto it and then cut out the shape and cut the cake accordingly. Be careful while carving the cake and I would advice you to refrigerate the cake for a while so that it becomes easier for carving

For the decoration I used 'Tropolite' cream and whipped it up adding colour until light, fluffy and stiff. Use an icing nozzle to pipe in the cream over the cake. You can use all you creative juices to have the best decorated butterfly :)

Bake and enjoy!!!

2 comments:

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...