January 10, 2013

Jowar idiyappam/ sorgum flour stringhoppers





What you see in the picture is idiyappam or string hopper, its usually made with fine rice flour but I have tried  with ragi flour ( finger millet flour) before, the recipe you will find in my previous posts. This time I tried with jowar flour  and I was surprised with the result, Hey it came out good and infact my family dint realise it was jowar, and as it is jowar  has a very subtle taste. I combined the idiyappam with quail eggs curry.

Ingredients
Jowar flour - 1 cup ( dry roasted)
Rice flour  - 1 1/2 cup ( dry roasted)
Oil - 1 tspn
Salt - as required
Hot water - 2 - 2 1/2 cups

Method :
Dry roast the flours separately and put it in a wide bowl and add in the salt and oil and mix well. Pour in the hot water and mix the flour till you get  a dough consistency. I used the hand held dough blades for this since it will be easy to handle hot water and mix it simultaneously to form the dough. Once your dough is ready keep the steamer on the stove with required amount of water. Use the chakli maker with the string hopper nozzle and pipe the noddles , you can also sprinkle some grated coconut over the noodles and steam for about 10 - 15 mins.

Serve hot with a spicy curry of your choice or even stew.
Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...