Its been quite sometime that i have fed my blog as i was concentrating on few other things in life. The interest ans enthusiasm in cooking or baking did not vanish as few of my friends thought and asked. Been baking with different combinations and flours, happy with the outcome too. Whenever my family craves for bread i just bake it few hours in advance. Must tell you that the process of baking bread is so therapeutic and is healthy for mind, body and the family if i may say 😀.
So yes coming to the recipe... i have tried baking with whole wheat and few millets too. The trick for a good bread lies in the type and quality of yeast ( i use prestige brand yeast) , kneading and hydration of the dough.
For this bread I have used organic maida ( all purpose flour) .
The measurements or the ingredients is as follows
Organic maida - 1/2 kg
Yeast 3 tspn
Sugar - 2 - 3 tspn
Salt - 1 tspn or as required
Milk- one cup
Water- one cup
Butter - 50 gms (melted and cooled)
Olive oil - few spoons
- Throw in all the ingredients in a huge bowl except the olive oil, yes all the above ingredients except the olive oil.
- Use the spiral attachment of the egg beater and knead the dough ( i dont use my hand for kneading as this dough is a wet dough and i dont enjoy it sticking on to my palm) . Hence i use the hand beater with the dough hook and knead the dough for 10 - 12 mins pulsing in between.
- Once the dough has come together and well kneaded add 2- 3 spoons of olive oil and smear over the dough using your palm and just bring the dough in a shape of a ball, pat and leave.
- Cover the bowl with a lid.
- Let the dough rest for 1 hour or 1 and half hour. The dough should double in size( it should rise).
- Once the dough is risen punch it down with a spatula ( again i dont like the dough sticking to my palm and hence i use a spatula).
- Once the dough is punched down divide the dough into two loaves.
- I used a 9 inch round silicon pan and kept the loaves in it ( rugby ball shaped loaves)
- Now switch on the oven to preheat at 200 degress Celsius for about 20 minutes.
- Once the oven is preheated keep the dough in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Check the colour change, remove from the oven, brush some butter and slide the bread in the oven again and bake for about 5 minutes to let it holden brown.
- Remove the bread and slightly knock and check whether you hear a hollow sound. If you can manage the heat lift rhe bread and knock the bread from the botton too to hear the hollow sound.
- Leave the bread in the wire rack to cool completely.
Dont risk slicing the bread before it cools down as cooking happens even after the bread is removed from the oven in the trapped heat.
Once cooled slice the bread and proceed enjoying it the way you prefer.