March 31, 2012

Pooran poli


Pooran poli  is made in different forms in various parts of India. It is also known in different names, with a little variance in the filings and coating. But each state has their own styles of making it . In fact even within a state it differs in fillings and coatings. The recipe which I follow is totally taught to me by my marathi neighbour :). Since I love this sweet so much , I was quite adamant to learn it from her and she uses whole wheat flour for the coating and filling consisting of jaggery, sugar and chana dal . She being so good came to my house and made it and showed me for atleast twice or more. Initially I found it so difficult doing the filling in the dough and rolling it so thin. But yes as they say everything needs practice and nothing comes in easy in life, so do pooran poli :) So following is the recipe

Pooran poli

Ingredients:
Chana dal (Bengal gram dal )-1 cup
Jaggery - 1/2 cup
sugar - 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder -  1 tea spn
Whole wheat flour - 3/4 cup
Cooking oil - 2-3 tbspn
Salt a pinch

Method:
Cook Chana dal in pressure cooker and drain the water.
Cook dal mixed with jaggery and sugar to a  consistency ( tip is if u keep the ladle in the centre of the mixture, it should stand vertical) . Grind without using water (I used the pooran yanthra for this ). Add cardamom and mix well with hand to get a smooth mixture and let it cool.
Make a soft atta dough with oil, salt and water to a smooth elastic dough.
Take a ball of dough and spread with hand. Keep a ball of chana mixture and cover with the dough and seal the ends as you do for parathas .The amount of the filling should be double of the dough.
Roll the dough using rice flour into a thin chappathi and carefully fry in tawa applying little oil/ghee on either sides until it cooks well.

Serve hot with milk or loads of ghee ( :P ) 
Few alteration in the recipe I did :
Note :Used one cup of jaggery instead of half cup of sugar and half cup of jaggery.
Note : Melted the jaggery in little water and seived it to remove the impurities in it and then stirred in the dal and stirred to the required consistency.
  Takes a little extra time than the original method.

The following is the picture of pooran yanthra which I was referring to 

Picture courtesy : http://shopping.rediff.com/product/nalini-puran-machine-crusher/11047068

I was gifted one by my neighbour :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...